Sustainable Midlands helps to protect the integrity of the Smith Branch and Rocky Branch watersheds with our Adopt-A-Stream program. This initiative allows community members to take a hands-on approach to engaging with our waterways through citizen science!
With Adopt-A-Stream, we encourage you to ADOPT:
- Increase public Awareness of the State’s nonpoint source pollution and water quality issues
- Collect quality baseline water quality Data
- Gather Observations
- Encourage Partnerships between citizens and their local government
- Provide citizens with the Tools and Training to evaluate and protect their local waterways
Every month, we collect chemical and bacteria samples from each site, and every quarter we take macroinvertebrate samples.
Our current site locations:
- Rocky Branch: Corner of Whaley and Main St., under the billboard (Find our sampling data here)
- Smith Branch: NOMA Dog Park at Earlewood Park (Find our sampling data here)
On January 14, 2017 we launched a new testing site at the corner of Whaley Street and Main Street. Below you can view footage from this sampling:
Whether you are a community group looking for a project or a concerned citizen wanting to get involved, we welcome you to join us! If you enjoy it as much as we do (and we think you will!), then we encourage you to become a trained certified volunteer.
For more information, please contact our Community Outreach Coordinator, Marie Stallworth, at email@example.com.
Our next sampling: Friday, February 17th